Chocolate Caramel Shortbread
- 2 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine, softened
- ½ cup confectioners’ sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter or margarine
- 3 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted
Cream 1 cup butter, the confectioners’ sugar and salt in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Stir in the flour. Press into a greased 9×9 baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes or until light brown. Cool slightly. Microwave ½ cup butter in a microwave-safe dish for 1 minute. Stir in the corn syrup and condensed milk. Microwave on high for 8 minutes or until the mixture turns a light caramel color, stirring at 1-minute intervals. Stir in the vanilla. Spread over the warm baked layer. Drizzle with the melted chocolate. Chill until firm. Cut into bars. Store covered at room temperature. Yield: 2 dozen.
Tested in the THASC kitchen. Photo by THASC.
THASC is a unique small American business producing cards and other promotional products.