- ¾ cup (1 ½ sticks) butter or margarine, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 cup white flour
- 1 cup minus 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 medium-sized peaches, peeled and sliced (about 1 ½ cups slices)
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, mixed with ½ teaspoon cinnamon
In a bowl, cream the butter or margarine with the granulated sugar. Beat in the eggs, then the lemon rind and milk. In another bowl, stir together the flours, baking powder, and salt. Beat in the creamed mixture. Spread half the batter evenly in a greased and floured 8 x 10 inch baking pan. Arrange the peach slices on top and sprinkle with the brown sugar-cinnamon mixture. Spread the remaining batter on top. Bake the cake in a 350 degrees F oven for 50 minutes, or until it tests done with a toothpick. Let cool on a rack. Because this cake is so moist, it is easiest to serve it directly from the baking pan. NOTE: It should be stored in the refrigerator.
Yield: 16 servings
Tested in the THASC kitchen. Photo by THASC.
THASC is a unique small American business producing cards and other promotional products.