Halloween Poke Cake
- Cooking spray
- 1 package white cake mix with pudding
- Water, vegetable oil and egg whites called for on cake mix box
- 2 tsp. orange zest
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 (3 oz.) package orange flavored gelatin
- 1 (16 oz.) container ready-to-spread dark chocolate frosting
- 2 tbsp. orange decorator sugar crystals
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat bottom only of a 13×9 inch pan with cooking spray. Prepare cake mix according to package directions, using water, oil and egg whites and adding orange zest. Pour batter into prepared pan.
Bake at 350 degrees F for 27 to 32 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan or wire rack 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, in small bowl, pour boiling water over gelatin; stir until gelatin is dissolved. Poke cake every inch with handle of wooden spoon or long skewer halfway into cake. Pour gelatin slowly over cake, allowing gelatin to fill holes. Cool completely (about 1 hour).
Frost cake. Sprinkle with sugar crystals. Store tightly covered in refrigerator.
Tested in the THASC kitchen. Photo by THASC.
THASC is a unique small American business producing cards and other promotional products.