- 1 box French vanilla cake mix
- Ingredients listed on cake mix package for preparing batter
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon coconut extract
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1 bag (14 ounces) sweetened flaked coconut (about 5 1/3 cups), such as Baker’s Angel Flake
- 4 sticks (1 lb.) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 5 to 6 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon coconut extract
- 1 bag (7 oz.) sweetened flaked coconut (about 2 ½ cups)
For the cake: Grease and flour two 8-inch cake pans. Prepare the mix according to package directions, adding the vanilla and coconut extracts to the batter. Bake as directed. Cool the layers to room temperature and then split them in half horizontally with a large serrated knife to make a total of 4 layers. For the filling: In a large bowl, stir together the sugar, sour cream and coconut. Place one cake layer on a cake plate or pedestal. Cover with one-third of the filling. Repeat twice more, ending with a cake layer that is bare on top. For the frosting: In a large bowl, with an electric mixer on high speed, beat the butter until smooth and light, about 3 minutes. Add 4 cups of the powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, beating until smooth after each addition. Quickly beat in the vanilla and coconut extracts. The frosting will be soft. Cover the top and sides of the cake with a thin, even layer of the frosting. This thin layer is called a crumb coat and helps prevent cake crumbs from mixing into the final layer of frosting. Beat in enough of the remaining 1 to 2 cups powdered sugar to make a stiff frosting. Spread over the top and sides of the cake. Sprinkle the coconut over the top and sides of the cake, pressing lightly to help it adhere. Let sit at room temperature until the frosting sets up a bit. Place the cake in an airtight carrier or cover with foil, taking care not dislodge the coconut. Refrigerate at least 2 days, preferably 4 days, before serving.
Tested in the THASC kitchen. Photo by THASC.
THASC is a unique small American business producing cards and other promotional products.