- 1 package angel food cake mix
- 1/3 cup finely chopped maraschino cherries, well drained
- 1 square (1 ounce) semisweet chocolate, grated
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 square (1 ounce) semisweet chocolate
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 3 to 5 teaspoons maraschino cherry juice
- Maraschino cherries and fresh mint, optional
- In a large bowl, prepare cake batter according to package directions. Fold cherries and chocolate into batter. Gently spoon into an ungreased 10 inch tube pan. Cut through the batter with a knife to remove air pockets.
- Bake on the lowest oven rack at 350 degrees F for 40-45 minutes or until lightly browned and entire top appears dry. Immediately invert pan onto a wire rack; cool completely, about 1 hour. Run a knife around side and center tube of pan. Remove cake to a serving plate.
- In a small saucepan, combine the butter, chocolate and corn syrup. Cook and stir over low heat until chocolate is melted. Stir in confectioners’ sugar and cherry juice until glaze reaches desired consistency. Drizzle over cooled cake. Garnish with cherries and mint if desired
Yield: 12 Servings