Trick or Treat…
Try this great Halloween Desert!
- 1 package chocolate cake mix
- 2 cups sugar
- ½ cup baking cocoa
- ½ cup butter, cubed
- ½ cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 12 large marshmallows
- Chocolate sprinkles
- 48 M&M miniature baking bits
- 192 pieces black licorice (3 inches)
- Prepare cake batter according to package directions for cupcakes.
- Fill 24 greased or paper-lined muffin cups. Bake at 350 degrees F for 21-26 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a small saucepan, combine the sugar, cocoa, butter and milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla.
- Cool to 110 degrees F. Transfer to a large bowl. Beat until thickened and mixture begins to lose its gloss, about 8 minutes.
- Cut marshmallows in half widthwise; place a half on each cupcake. Frost marshmallow and top of cupcake. Dip cupcakes in chocolate sprinkles. Place a dab of frosting on each baking bit and press on cupcakes for eyes.
- For spider legs, use a metal or wooden skewer to poke four holes on opposite sides of cupcakes; insert a piece of licorice into each hole. Yield: 2 dozen.