What You’ll Need…
- 2 package yellow cake mix
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup shortening
- 8 to 9 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons black paste or gel food coloring
- 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoons yellow paste or liquid food coloring
- 4 cream filled chocolate sandwich cookies
- 2 yellow gumdrops
- 6 red gumdrops
What To Do…
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions. Pour batter into two greased 8 inches x 4 inches x 2 inches loaf pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Place cakes end to end on 22 inches x 8 inches covered board; level if needed. From top of one end, form front of bus by cutting out a section 1 inch deep and 3 inches long; discard removed piece.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat butter and shortening until fluffy. Add 6 cups confectioners’ sugar, milk, vanilla and salt; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining confectioners’ sugar until desired consistency is reached.
- Tint 3/4 cup frosting with black food coloring; set aside. Tint remaining frosting yellow. Frost top and sides of cake with yellow frosting. Frost cut edge of cookies with yellow frosting to form wheel wells; place two cookies on each side of bus.
- Cut a small hole in the corner of a pastry or plastic bag; insert a #5 round tip. Fill the bag with black frosting. Outline windows on both sides of bus; pipe strips under windows. Pipe windshield and back window; fill in with black frosting. Pipe lines on front of bus to form grill. Place yellow gumdrops on grill for headlights; place red gumdrops on front and back for lights.
Tested in the THASC kitchen. Photo by THASC.
THASC is a unique small American business producing cards and other promotional products.