Our dear friend and colleague, Maria, is taking a few weeks summer vacation to be with her beloved family. So we will try to fill her remarkable shoes with a few blogs featuring “A Little Light Lunch.” We do hope you will enjoy as summer is a great time of year to get together with family and friends, sharing “a little light lunch.”
What You’ll Need:
- 2 slices white or whole wheat bread
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Greek-style yogurt
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan, plus extra to serve
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3 or 4 drops Lea & Perrins Worcestershire sauce (or to taste)
- salt and pepper
- 1 ½ cups diced cooked chicken
- 8 small heart of romaine lettuce leaves
- 4 seven-inch flour tortillas (if making wraps)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Cut star shapes from the bread using a small star-shaped cutter (or trim off the crusts and cut the slices into ½ inch cubes) and put in a bowl. Drizzle with the oil and toss until coated. Spread the bread out on a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes. Carefully turn the croutons over and bake for 5 to 8 minutes more, until golden, watching carefully. Let cool.
- Mix together the mayonnaise, yogurt, Parmesan, lemon juice, and Worcestershire sauce and season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in the cooked chicken.
- To serve in lettuce cups: divide the chicken salad among the lettuce leaves. Sprinkle each with a little grated Parmesan and a few croutons.
- To serve as wraps: warm the tortillas in a microwave for 5 to 10 seconds or put in a warm oven for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, finely shred the lettuce leaves. Scatter the lettuce down the center of the wraps and spoon the chicken salad on top. Sprinkle each with a little grated Parmesan and a few croutons, roll up, and serve immediately. You can omit the croutons from the wrap version if you prefer. It is also fun to roll up each wrap in aluminum foil and scrunch one end to seal. The children can then eat the wraps, peeling the foil away as they eat, without worrying about dripping any dressing on the sofa.