Christmas in July!
Color your icing? This Red Velvet Cake will become a family favorite.
- 1 package fudge marble cake mix
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
1 ½ cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1 bottle (1 oz.) red food coloring
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, combine the contents of cake mix and baking soda. Add the buttermilk, eggs, food coloring and vanilla; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Pour into two greased and floured 9 inch round baking pans.
Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, whisk flour and milk in a small saucepan until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Cover and cool to room temperature.
- In a small bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla. Add milk mixture; beat for 10 minutes or until fluffy. Spread frosting between layers and over the top and sides of cake. Serves 12.