Christmas in July
How do you celebrate? We collect recipes, how about you?
- 1 package white cake mix
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed and coarsely chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 1 package (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 3 ½ cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon grated orange peel
- ¼ cup finely chopped walnuts
In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, water, oil, eggs and orange peel; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Stir in cranberries and walnuts. Pour into two greased and floured 9 inch round baking pans.
Bake at 350 degrees F for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
For frosting, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Add the confectioners’ sugar, vanilla and orange peel; beat until blended. Spread between layers and over top and sides of cake. Sprinkle with walnuts. Refrigerate leftovers. Serves 12.