Groom’s Cake for your groom, or just a sumptuous cookie cake for you!
YOU WILL NEED:
- 4 oz. dark chocolate (for cake)
- 4 oz. granulated sugar
- 4 oz. unsalted butter (softened)
- 2 tablespoons of apple sauce and 1 tablespoon of milk/cream mixed together
- 8 oz. McVitie’s Digestive Wheat Biscuits
- ½ teaspoon butter for greasing
- 8 oz. dark chocolate (for coating the cake)
- 1 oz. chocolate (for decorating)
WHAT TO DO:
- Lightly grease a 6 inch round x 2 ½ inch high cake pan, place on a tray lined with parchment paper.
- Break each of the cookies in to almond size pieces by hand and set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar in a bowl until the mixture starts to lighten.
- Melt the chocolate (4 oz.) and add to the butter/sugar mixture, constantly stirring. Beat in the apple sauce/cream to the mixture.
- Fold in the cookies (pieces) till well coated with the chocolate mixture.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared cake pan. Try to fill all of the gaps on the bottom of the pan because this will be to top when it is unmolded.
- Chill the cake in the refrigerator for at least three hours.
- Remove the cake from the refrigerator and let it stand while you melt the 8 oz. of chocolate.
- Slide the ring of the cake and turn it upside down onto a cake rack.
- Pour the melted chocolate over the cake and smooth the top and sides using a palette knife.
- Allow the chocolate to set at room temperature.
- Carefully run a knife around the bottom of the cake where the chocolate has stuck it to the cake rack, lift it to a cake plate.
- Melt the remaining 1 oz. chocolate and use to decorate the top of the cake.