Welcome back to “Sweet Street Saturday!”
One of the most fun things to do is to make & decorate cupcakes. Here’s a simple and easy way to do both. One tip that will make this more enjoyable is to take care to fill the baking cup with the right amount of cake batter.
As a guide fill the cups about 2/3 full.
- 5 tbsp lightly salted butter, softened
- 1.2 cup superfine sugar
- Generous ½ cup self-rising flour
- 1 egg, plus 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Line 5 sections of a muffin pan with paper baking cups and preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Put all the cake ingredients into a bowl and beat with a hand-held electric beater until pale and creamy
- Divide the batter between the baking cups and bake for about 25 minutes until risen and just firm. Leave for 5 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack to cool.
- Decorate as desired. Get creative!